Using a generator indoors CAN KILL YOU IN MINUTES. Generator exhaust contains high levels of carbon monoxide (CO), a poisonous gas you cannot see or smell. If you can smell the generator exhaust, you are breathing CO. But even if you cannot smell the exhaust, you could be breathing CO.
View a larger version of this image
- Never use a generator inside homes, garages, crawlspaces, or other partly enclosed areas. Deadly levels of carbon monoxide can build up in these areas. Using a fan or opening windows and doors does NOT supply enough fresh air.
- ONLY use a generator outdoors and far away from open windows, doors, and vents. Make sure to direct the generator's exhaust away from these openings because they can pull in generator exhaust.
- The generator must be at least 20 ft away from your home.
Even when you use a generator correctly, CO may leak into the home. ALWAYS use a battery-powered or battery-backup CO alarm in the home. If you start to feel sick, dizzy, or weak after the generator has been running, move to fresh air RIGHT AWAY. See a doctor. You could have carbon monoxide poisoning.
For more information regarding the risk of exposure to carbon monoxide, visit the US Consumer Product Safety Commission
website at http://www.cpsc.gov/info/co/generators.html.
For more information regarding the safe use of portable generators, visit the Portable Generator Manufacturer’s Association Website at http://www.pgmaonline.com/default.asp.